What Happens if My Balance is Not Paid Off?


Campus policy states that payment for fees must be received by the payment due date (see Fee Payment Instructions). If your payment is not received within that time frame your registration may be cancelled (you may be subject to disenrollment from your classes). The campus has established this policy, in coordination with many different departments, to better meet the needs of the student population. Rather than tying up seats in classes with students who choose to not attend and/or never pay, this policy frees up seats and allows other students who do pay to get the courses they need.


Should a student or former student fail to pay a fee or a debt to the University, the University may “withhold permission to register, to use facilities for which a fee is authorized to be charged, to receive services, materials, food or merchandise or any combination of the above from any person owing a debt” until the debt is paid (see Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 42380 and 42381).

Students who register for courses offered by the University are obligated to pay for the fees associated with registration for those courses. Failure to cancel registration in a course for an academic term prior to the first day of the academic term gives rise to an obligation to pay student fees including any tuition for the reservation of space in the course.

The University may withhold permission to register or to receive official transcripts of grades or other services offered by the University from anyone owing fees or any other debt to the University. Additional collection action may be taken including collection agency referral, reporting to a credit bureau, and/or submittal for offset of future state tax refunds, including any applicable costs of collection. If a student believes he or she does not owe all or part of an unpaid obligation, the student may contact Student Financial Services at SFS@fullerton.edu. Please be sure to provide us with your full name and CWID number so that we may access your account. Student Financial Services, or another office on campus to which the Student Financial Services may refer the student, will review all pertinent information provided by the student and available to the campus, and advise the student of its conclusions.


The University will try to work with you to collect the obligation owing the University. If we are unable to collect the debt we may turn over your account to an outside collection agency.


If you have an outstanding obligation to the University we may file a claim with the State Controller to offset the amount due against any refund of State Income Tax, or any amount of money from any other source that the State may owe you (Government Code, Section 12419.5).