Refunds of Basic Registration Fees and Tuition

Financial Aid Refunds

After your fees have been paid in full, you have two options for receiving the excess financial aid funds remaining on your account:

Option #1 - Direct Deposit
Get your money faster, sign-up for Direct Deposit today!

THIS SERVICE IS FREE! Direct deposit of your financial aid disbursement (fewer registration fees) to your checking or savings account is available and encouraged. It is a method to disburse Financial Aid and/or refund monies to your personal checking or savings account, and it is the quickest and most secure way to receiving your Financial Aid funds.

Direct Deposit is faster and more secure than having a check delivered by the U.S. Postal Service. There is no check to be lost in the mail. It can take up to two months to have a check re-issued to you.

Option #2 - A Check is Mailed to You
A financial aid disbursement check is normally mailed out to a student after the funds are delivered to the University and the student’s tuition and fees have been paid. Financial aid disbursement checks are not mailed until that student’s fee obligations are paid in full.

Cash Refunds

Refunds of basic registration fees and non-resident tuition fee are calculated exactly the same for all students: resident, non-resident, and foreign.

Partial Refunds (Full-time to Part-time)
Partial refunds are for students that have dropped units and caused their enrollment status to change from full-time (7+ units) to part-time (0-6 units) during the campus designated drop period.

Prorated Refunds (Complete Withdrawal from the University)
Students who have completely withdrawn from the University during the term will receive a prorated refund of mandatory fees, including non-resident tuition fee. The prorated refund is based on the number of days in the term in which the student was enrolled. A student withdrawing after the 60% point in the term will not be eligible to receive a refund of basic registration fees or non-resident tuition fee.


  • A $5.00 refund processing fee will be deducted from all refunds.
  • Refunds are automatically generated for students who drop courses through the add/drop period which is the first through the second week of classes. All student overpayments will be automatically refunded after the add/drop deadline.
  • Check payments require forty days to elapse (from the original payment date) before a refund can be processed to allow time for the funds to clear. Any payment made by credit card will be credited back to the same credit card that was used for the payment.
  • For special sessions of less than four (4) weeks, no refund of basic registration fees and non-resident tuition will be made unless a student cancels registration or drops all classes prior to the first day of classes in accordance with University's established procedures and deadlines.

Special Circumstance Refunds

Students will also receive a refund of mandatory fees, including non-resident tuition fee under the following circumstances:

  • The tuition and mandatory fees were assessed or collected in error;
  • The course for which the tuition and mandatory fees were assessed or collected was canceled by the University;
  • The University makes a delayed decision that the student was not eligible to enroll in the term for which mandatory fees were assessed and collected and delayed decision was not due to incomplete or inaccurate information provided by the student, or;
  • The student was activated for compulsory military service.

Refund Appeals

Students who are not entitled to a refund as described above may petition the University for a refund demonstrating exceptional circumstances and the Chief Financial Officer of the University or designee may authorize a refund if he or she determines that the fees and tuition were not earned by the University. An Application to Appeal for Reversal of Fees form is available at the Student Contact Center (UH-180) and online ( Any documentation to support a refund appeal MUST be submitted with the appeal form to Student Account Services, UH-180. All refunds appeals must be submitted within one year from the term being appealed.

Failure to follow formal University procedures regarding the cancellation of registration or withdrawal from the institution.

Students who find it necessary to cancel their registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term are required to follow the University's official withdrawal procedures. Failure to follow formal University procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses and the need to apply for readmission before being permitted to enroll in another academic term. Information on canceling registration and withdrawal procedures is available from the Admissions and Records office.

Further Information

For further information on Refund of Fees, please contact Student Financial Services at (please include your CWID) or call (657) 278-2495.

Parking Refunds

Please see Parking RefundsOpens in new window .

Housing Refunds

Please see Housing RefundsOpens in new window .